My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashville, TN, United States

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Pill-Taking

So sorry to have been away...it has been a long two months of off-and-on sinus infections with shortness of breath...currently back "on" again. You would think with all of the time on the couch, I would have time to attend to my blog :) .... I do have several things on my mind to write about, so look for a few more posts coming up.

First, I have to share the aftermath of my recent pill-taking experience (with Eric's assistance!). Picture first, explanation second:


Historically, I am not a great pill-taker. I think about it too much, hold it in my mouth too long, and then choke as I try to swallow one. I was having a particularly hard time breathing this night and had choked down one pill already. Now I was facing the chalk-y steroid pill and the sticky Walgreen's sudafed....which really made my throat close up when I thought about them.

In comes Eric with an idea. Why don't we crush them up?

Here is the sequence:

1. EQ crushes the pills using a spoon and our spoon rest.
2. He considers putting the powder in hot tea; I convince him to put it in cold TJ's Mango Green Tea; something with taste to it. (Note: it does not dissolve well at this point. )
3. I try it....no go. Too gritty.
4. Maybe that hot tea idea had some merit to it. We add hot water.
5. I try it...no go. Too bitter.
6. Eric adds a large dash of fresh lemon juice.
7. I try it...no go. Too tangy, puckering.
8. Splenda next.
9. I try it...a little better....I like sweet things. But I get to the bottom of the glass and there's a blob of shredded pills still there. Ugh.
10. Applesauce (like my mom used to do when I was little). Mix it in with a big spoonful and I am DONE.

Speaking of pills, I think it's time for my next dose :( ......

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Hannah and Scott said...

Haha my husband is the same way with pills. He is such a baby. I dunno, I can usually swallow like 12 at a time if I have to! Sorry you aren't feeling well. =(

December 6, 2009 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger Mandy Rowland Quiram said...

H..you are like Eric....he kept staring at me the whole time....like "what's the big deal...take the pills already!" I envy those who can swallow more than one at a time :)

Your family blog is so cute, Hannah.....and I love seeing all your new embroidery items....so creative!

December 6, 2009 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Hitoshi said...

I have vague memories of my mother giving me Tylenol crushed up with, yes, a spoonful of sugar...not necessarily delightful, but it went down easy enough...if I ever have kids, maybe I'll remember the applesauce trick...

December 7, 2009 at 11:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

next time.......mashed in ground liver and onions...yum!!

December 8, 2009 at 7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home